Here are some interesting facts that you may or may not realise about Valentine’s Day…
- Most women will not spend half the amount of money on men as they expect to get brought for them.
- There is an increase in the sales of pregnancy tests during the month of March, due to all those wonderful romantic interludes on Valentine’s day.
- Most florists will increase the cost of their flowers, especially roses by approximately 30% during the week leading up to Valentine’s day.
- The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love.
- Women are more inclined to buy cards than men for this romantic day, men preferring to buy flowers and chocolates.
- For many who do not have a human loved one and a pet is their best friend, they will purchase a fun loving gift and chocolates for their animal friend.
- Around 110 million Valentine’s roses are sold 2-3 days leading up to February 14th, mostly red of course. Out of those 110 million, 73% are purchased by men and only 27% are purchased by women.
- Valentine’s day is the second biggest “event” of the calendar year following Christmas. It has been estimated that the UK will spend around £880 million on valentine’s day. Averaging that men will spend a staggering £611 million while women will spend around £269 on their partners!
So as you can see from the Valentine’s facts above – romance doesn’t come cheap!