Here are some interesting facts about the planet we live in…
- Earth is the only planet that sustains life as it has water and this makes it fit for supporting life forms. Water actually covers 70% of Earth
- The atmosphere is made up of a mixture of gases the main ones being Nitrogen and Oxygen. Their are five layers of the Earth’s atmosphere namely, troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere and exosphere.
- Weather changes occur in the troposphere and aeroplanes usually fly in the stratosphere.
- Earth moves at a very high speed and revolves around the Sun. It takes Earth 365 days and 6 hours to revolve around the Sun.
- The Moon is the Earth’s natural satellite. It is moving away from the Earth by approximately 3.82cms every year, caused by the tide movements.
- The Moon is one million times drier than the Gobi Desert
- The Earth mass increases every year as 3,000 tons of meteorite debris falls from space and remains here
As the Earth is one of the most beautiful planets seen from space we really need to appreciate it.