One of the worst non medical things your body does, is to have hiccups. No one knows exactly what causes them, some say eating or drinking to fast, laughing, gulping air or even sometimes anxiety.
Whatever the cause they are annoying, sometimes painful and only cause enjoyment to others!
Anyhow, here are some ‘well known’ cures:
- Pinching your nose whilst drinking a glass of water.
- Pinching the back of your shoulder until it hurts – this works as the nerves that control your diaphragm come from the same place.
- Exhaling as hard as you can and then holding your breath.
- Swallowing a teaspoon of sugar.
- Holding your tongue with your thumb and index finger and gently pulling it forwards.
- Getting someone to drop and ice cube down your back – this is for the shock aspect, as you intake a gulp of air quickly!
- Chewing gum.
- Drinking from the far side of a glass of water whilst your head is upside down or lastly.
- Breathing into a paper bag.
So next time try one of these cures or do you have your own method?