When it comes to celebrating a wedding anniversary, many people never quite know what name is given to the year or what special wedding anniversary gift is associated with the year.
The following guide to wedding anniversary years will help with not only the name of the anniversary year, but also what is an appropriate modern day gift to give to the lucky couple.
- 1st – Paper – Given it’s name then some sort of stationary is a good gift idea.
- 2nd – Cotton – This is a traditional cotton gift as the name suggests.
- 3rd – Leather – As the name suggests a leather gift would be appropriate.
- 4th – Linen – This is a traditional linen gift as the name suggests.
- 5th – Wood – Some form of wood carving or wood ornament would be an ideal gift.
- 6th – Iron – A metal or tin kitchen decoration would be a suitable gift.
- 7th – Copper – A woollen garment of some kind is considered appropriate nowadays.
- 8th – Bronze – An electrical gift is considered appropriate.
- 9th – Pottery – Something ceramic or ornamental would suffice as a gift.
- 10th – Tin – A metal or tin kitchen decoration would be a suitable gift.
- 11th – Steel – A metal or steel ornament would be a good modern gift to give.
- 12th – Silk – This is a traditional silk gift as the name suggests.
- 13th – Lace – This is a traditional lace gift as the name suggests.
- 14th – Ivory – This gift should be something that is ivory in colour.
- 15th – Glass – Something made of glass or crystal, such as a decanter or glasses, would be ideal.
There are no official names for anniversaries on years 16, 17, 18 and 19, so the next milestone is the 20 year wedding anniversary.
20th – China – given the name an ornament of some description is usually given as a gift.
After the 20th wedding anniversary, the years are then only named for each of the 5 years that follow, with the next one being your 25th anniversary – which is probably the most well known of all and is called the Silver Wedding Anniversary.
Here is a list of traditional anniversary year names for being married for these longer periods of time.
- 25th – Silver
- 30th – Pearl
- 35th – Coral
- 40th – Ruby
- 45th – Sapphire
- 50th – Gold
- 55th – Emerald
- 60th – Diamond
- 65th – Blue Sapphire
- 70th – Platinum
- 80th – Oak
Given the length of time of the anniversary, the associated gifts would be far more expensive, as each of their named years suggests.
You’ll discover the perfect wedding anniversary gifts on Etsy, where you’ll find a treasure trove of unique, meaningful, and traditional presents.
From handcrafted jewellery to personalized keepsakes, Etsy offers a delightful shopping experience to celebrate your special day with heartfelt gifts.